Monday, June 17, 2013

Best Laid Plans......

Nearly a year ago we thought we had secured ideal accommodations in the Tuscan countryside.  Now, with less than three months until we depart, we find ourselves without a home away from home.  I had not heard anything from our hosts at La Volpaia and thought they should be looking for a deposit very soon. So I sent a quick email to re-confirm our commitment and our dates.  
I was completely unprepared for what was about to happen next.  

Apparently a major problem with the roof put La Volpaia out of service for the season.   I gave a fleeting thought to offering to help with the roof repair in exchange for our accommodations but after this summer's bathroom remodel I have taken the permanent cure for projects.

So I am spending  the evenings scouring the internet for alternative accommodations.  Unfortunately, none have the special bonus of a personal reference from a priest!  I sorted through literally hundreds of  pages of agriturismo offerings and narrowed the field down to 14.  Now I need to sit back and wait for the responses on availability.   It really boils down to finding a place with a great view, which is pretty much everywhere in Tuscany and a respite after a day of touring.  Being "home" to drink some vino rosso and watch a beautiful Tuscan sunset after a rustic dinner is the top priority.

One of the places I found in my internet search looked very familiar.  A review of our bike tour photos from 2011 revealed the exact vantage point on their web site photo.  We were cycling toward Pienza on the second day of our tour and this "castle" popped into view along the road.   It would be quite a coincidence if we wind up staying there on this trip.

I am using the agriturismo.it website to search for suitable accommodations.  Once registered, it populates your search criteria for each location and then archives all your email inquiries.   Many of the places that would meet our needs are, of course, unavailable, this late in the season but I still hope to find a place offering a great view, good food and a place to lay our heads after a day of touring.  








No comments:

Post a Comment